Wednesday, November 9, 2011

How We Roll When We Roll With It

So half of us are sick.  The sick half; myself, Riley, and Amarys.  The non sick half; Brent, Ayden, and Matthew.  Yesterday Riley was miserable.  At dinnertime he was rolling around the living room floor, screaming, because he was feverish, and also his little bum was itchy and painful.  I guess he didn't wipe it very adequately.  So Brent was trying to convince him to take a bath but Riley was having none of it.  Eventually the screaming fit subsided when Brent, in all his brilliance, suggested a bubble bath!  
Why would a father do something so clueless?  Riley has sensitive skin.  When he was a baby he had eczema and would break out in a spotty rash if he was exposed to regular soaps, so we switched to something more natural with emu oil in it, and I threw out all the bubble bath.  This was three years ago.

Brent wanders into the kitchen and says, in all innocence,
Where's the bubble bath?
Ha.  Have fun describing eczema and harsh soaps to your three year old bath hater with an itchy bum.  Sucker.

After some more freaking out I suggested dish soap.  Yay!  Tears abated once again, and into the hot, soapy bath he went.  I'm not sure exactly how much dish soap went into the tub, but lets just say it took me several rinses to clean the tub a day later.  But gosh darn it, if he wasn't cute.  And clean!  *fistpump!*



As I was washing dishes afterwards, Amarys was crawling circles around my legs, and screaming.  When is this baby not screaming?  Le sigh.  She wanted me to pick her up.  I know her well; she will claw my neck and scream if I put her in the ergo, but wail like a poorly trained opera singer if I leave her on the floor.  She wants a real, live hip carry.  It's a small thing, but if I don't get my kitchen clean before I lie down to help the littlest ones sleep, it won't get done because I won't have the energy later.  And it makes my morning so much easier if I can start with a clean kitchen!  So I just wanted to get the last few dishes washed, and Amarys was having none of it.  Gar.  I picked her up and sat her on the counter but she's too small to stay put.
I looked at her and thought, Hm, you'd be happy in the sink.
So I put her in the sink.  With water.




DOUBLE CUTENESS.  
A few minutes later the boys walked in, and were tickled to see Amarys having so much fun sitting in the kitchen sink.  Now these are the kinds of moments I live for.



These, and ones like tonight, when Amarys' sippy cup rolled off the table during dinner and Riley said,
Oh shit.
I looked at him.
What did you say?!
I said Oh shit! Ammyboo's cup felled on the floor.

5 comments:

Rachel @ Lautaret Bohemiet said...

HAHAHA! About Riley saying "Oh shit". That is awesome. I blush just thinking about the kinds of things Bennett might say one day...

And her in the sink?! That is the BEST! Her look of satisfaction is hilarious. You can tell by the look on her face that she TOTALLY knows she won that round. She looks so proud. "I win" (wink) she says to the camera.

And is it just me or does she look like an exact replica of Brent? Do a lot of people say that?

tamie marie said...

Life is so damn good. Thank you for letting us in on little bits of yours.

lori said...

I love the pics of Amarys in the sink. They are both wonderful!

And I recognize so much about what you wrote - needing to get the dishes done, because it makes SUCH a difference in the morning, a baby wanting to be held all the livelong day, and moments like that where the fam comes together and lives the magic.

Delightsome post.
xoo

Rob-o-SE-yo said...

all three of those stories made me goober.

my baby just projectile vomited.

Caryn Ouwehand said...

Nicely done Voses...